Monday, February 22, 2016

Blog Post 5

Web 2.0 changed everything and it made us all way more connected. Social media alone connects so many people daily be it on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Many of us share media everyday without thinking twice about it that's how accustomed to web 2.0 culture we are. Wikipedia for example is updated daily by multiple users and that can be both good and bad because anyone has access to it, but when it's good it's great, because it gives everyone a stream to constantly changing information. Everyday other sites are constantly updated and evolving including, blogs, search engines and email websites. Another great use of Web 2.0 technology is video editing software becoming mainstream making software to edit videos cheaper to schools and students. working on video editing software in classrooms in middle schools and high schools for school projects can allow students to be highly creative with their work and they can share them with their classmates using Smart Boards which are becoming more and more available in classrooms


A web 2.0 tool that I would probably use as a teacher would have to be Facebook. Although many of us use Facebook daily. I want to use it in a totally different way when I'm working with my students. Facebook is a multi layered tool that can be used to send information back and forth between students electronically. Facebook also can also be a means for creativity. Which is precisely why I think It would be a great platform to use in my English class. I would like to use Facebook to encourage students to write and be creative in a way I believe that they would have a lot of fun with.

I would like to use Facebook in a group project with my students used for each book we read in our class. Each group will be assigned a different book, and they can choose from that book which characters they want to be in the novel. Then I will have each group member create a Facebook profile and post status updates as those characters . The other students in the class will follow each groups work and write a short paper on their Facebook project. I think this will be a fun way for the students to be creative as well as learn a lot in the process. I even have a cute name for the project, "The Facebook Book Project"

Creating the concept map was a lot of fun but also a bunch of work. It was more time consuming then I had originally planned it to be. I had a lot of difficulty space wise and that was a hard part for me. Design layout is not my strong suit. When I try to tackle concept maps again I plan on learning more about layouts so I can make it look better in the future.


2 comments:

  1. I think that your map is very effective and can be easily understood and followed by anyone. I would have never thought about using Facebook but you give some good reasons why we should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also did not like using the concept map because I had trouble with the space the program gave to use. Creating the map also took me longer than I originally thought it would take me.

    ReplyDelete