Monday, February 1, 2016

Blog Post 2

I grew up using Microsoft Word. As far as I can recall when I first started using a computer I was using Microsoft Word. It was the only computer software I have ever used throughout my years of being a student in elementary through high school. My teachers used Microsoft Word and I could tell because my best friend's mom taught 5th grade and I'd stay after school with him and his mom and I'd see her drafting tests on Word. I knew right away that if this software was being used by adults then I'd have to get to know it because it clearly was not going away anytime soon. I was right.  When I was in highs school I got my older brother's mac and it had Pages on it which was Apple's version of the software. I for the life of me could not grasp Pages and I struggled with it. I remember when my mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas that year I specifically asked for Microsoft Office, primarily because it contained Microsoft Word. I had Word again and I swore I was never going back. I found it to be the superior software for drafting papers.

In high school I also got my first taste with copyright and fair use of materials. I was in a digital media class and there was a state competition for making a song for a charitable organization. No one in the class had any instrumental skills so all the sounds we had to use had to be digital. We had to hunt down free guitar riffs and drum kits, to make the song. It took awhile to do this because there is not a lot of great free instrumentals available online. We managed to make the song however using these free instrumentals and not break any copyright laws and in doing so we won third place in the competition.

My experience with twitter started a couple years ago when I created an anonymous twitter in Tallahassee. I thought it would be a funny idea to make an anonymous twitter and tweet the thoughts of a stereotypical college girl with a biting attitude. The account was a hit. A lot of people really liked it in Tallahassee and I managed to collect over 2000 followers. Creating this twitter account was new to me because I was not used to tweeting as myself and not in a character. I believe twitter will be beneficial to me, because my hobby is stand up comedy. I believe I can use the social networking skills acquired from Twitter in the future to build up a comedy audience online as well as in the venues I hope to perform in seeing how many famous comedians have twitter accounts.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post! Your example about your experience with copyright and fair use is great.
    Making the transition from an anonymous account to a personal account on Twitter can be tough... definitely a different mindset for each. Hopefully, as you Tweet, it will become more natural!

    ReplyDelete